10 Signs You’re an IT Leader in Trouble
Are you imagining things, or is it possible your IT leadership position is on rocky footing? We’ve compiled a list of signs to watch for if you’re in trouble:
- Four cloud providers walk by your executive office to meet with the Business… and don’t acknowledge you.
- The CEO tells you she is going to create the IT strategy (over the weekend).
- You find out Business VPs have been running applications in the cloud for over a year without your knowledge.
- You (the IT leader) are invited to a business leadership meeting where the CEO presents the “new” IT strategy.
- The business decides to outsource the IT function without your input.
- The business hijacks the IT budget to fund radically experimental/skunkwork projects.
- You go to the CFO to inquire about next year’s IT budget; the CFO then asks “Haven’t you heard? The CEO plans to hire a consultant to develop new IT strategy for us!”
- A major, $10+ million IT solution needs to be vetted and you are not involved in the discussion to make the decision.
- The business has decided to rebrand you, “Sr. Director of IT” and you now report to the VP of HR.
- You find out you lost your CIO role in a press release of the incoming CIO. (whose first order of business is to eliminate the “new” Sr. Director of IT (you).
Hopefully you never experience any of these situations—but if you do, contact us. We’ve been there and can help build a strategy to get you back on solid ground.